So this is a quilt I made for my dear friend Malcolm. I suspect he’ll be quite tall when he’s done growing so I tried to make the quilt large as well.
You’ll notice it has a theme. I bought the music fabrics from a site called spoonflower.com and the notes I sewed on myself, though not as well as I should have. I have since learned better methods of appliqué.
The piano at the bottom I did buy cutting out the white keys and then sewing them together and then appliquéing the black keys on top. As admitted previously, not my best work, but I was really pleased with the idea. I may one day need to redo these… I’m really proud of the quilt though. One of my first and like the others, it was a gift.
This was actually the first quilt I did on my own. It is particularly long because I made it for my brother and he is particularly tall. He is also studying to be a physicist so I found some great fabrics at spoonflower.com that I thought would be great.
The light blue one is actually a Fibonacci spiral.
The white one is supposedly actual equations, not that I could varify that, but my brother hasn’t complained or pointed out any failure in that realm yet so I’m guessing it’s right..
The squares were pretty simply and I added an extra block on the bottom and top because I had fabric over and wanted to make it even longer.
I used yarn to tie the front and back together with the padding in the middle rather than quilting it. I think quilting is a beautiful art that I would love to learn and get better at, but when it comes to quilts that are comfy to snuggle up in, I’ve always preferred the simple ones.
I finished and sent this one off maybe two years ago so hopefully it’s well rumpled and piled on his bed or couch in the States right now.
So I wanted to make a quilt for my friend’s daughter but I also wanted to make a quilt for my friend. Solution? Mother daughter quilts. The daughter’s quilt I made smaller and a little simpler but I used the same material in both of them so that they would match.
This was the daughter quilt. I apologize for the wrinkles.. The circles and butterfly are cut out from other materials and then sewn to fusible interfacing that I cut a hole in the middle of to turn them right side out again so that when I put them on the quilt where I want them they had their edges sewn inside and the fusible part of the interfacing against the quilt. I ironed them into place where I wanted them and the interfacing made them stick, and then I sewed them down by hand. I sewed a few hearts onto the quilt too, from front to back through the batting.
Since it’s a baby quilt I sewed her name along the top and then her birth date on the bottom because, well, that’s what was on my baby quilt!
For her mother’s quilt I used the same materials. It’s larger and I did the same thing I did with the circles for the butterflies.
I also gave the butterflies little heads and antenna.
I had a great time working on these at craft fikas with friends in Umeå but was super excited to finally have a finished product.